SCIENCE INTENT AT SOMERVILLE
Our vision for Science at Somerville Federation is to provide our children with a science curriculum which enables them to explore and discover the world around them. The children will acquire the skills, knowledge and opportunities to develop a lifelong love of science.
Our Science Policy follows The National Curriculum 2014 for Science Guidelines and aims to ensure that all pupils:
- develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through the specific disciplines of Biology, Chemistry and Physics;
- develop understanding of the nature, processes and methods of Science through different types of science enquiries that help them to answer scientific questions about the world around them;
- are equipped with the scientific knowledge required to understand the uses and implications of Science, today and for the future.
The Somerville Science Curriculum is designed to:-
- Ensure children build on prior learning to deepen their scientific understanding.
- Teach engaging and stimulating science lessons which inspire the children.
- Encourage children to generate questions and use discussion to develop their ideas and understanding
- Ensure children have practical hands on experience across the 5 lines of enquiry
- Develop children’s use of key scientific vocabulary in context
- Ensure children will apply their knowledge and understanding to real life experiences.
- Engage with the wider school community through visitors and trips throughout their Somerville science journey.
- Allow children to work as scientists.