Nursery EYFS Curriculum
Children from birth to five have their own Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation StageEarly Years This document informs our Nursery Curriculum and offers children the opportunity to learn through a wide range of fun, practical experiences where children can observe, explore, discover and communicate in both the indoor and outdoor learning environments.
The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) has many aspects to it. Below are the four key principles that underpin our practice at Somerville Nursery School.
- A Unique Child: Every child is a unique child, who is constantly learning and can be resilient, capable, confident and self-assured
- Positive Relationships: Children learn to be strong and independent through positive relationships.
- Enabling Environments: Children learn and develop well in enabling environments with teaching and support from adults, who respond to their individual interests and needs and help them to build their learning over time. Children benefit from a strong partnership between practitioners and parents and/or carers.The environment plays a key role in supporting and extending children's development and learning.
- Learning and Development: The importance of learning and development - all areas of Learning and Development are equally important and inter-connected.. Children develop and learn at different rates. Children develop and learn in different ways and at different rates.
The seven areas of learning and development are:
- Communication and Language(CL)
- Physical Development (PD)
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development (PSED)
- Understanding the world
- Expressive arts and design
Below are some key documents relating to the curriculum at the nursery.
Files to Download
CL progression Nursery to primary.pdf Core rhymes 2s.pdf Core rhymes F1.pdf EAD progression Nursery to primary.pdf EYFS_statutory_framework_for_group_and_school_based_providers Jan 2024.pdf Literacy progression Nursery to primary.pdf Maths development F1.pdf Maths development grid 2s.pdf Maths progression Nursery to primary.pdf PD progression Nursery to primary.pdf PSED progression Nursery to primary.pdf Somerville Nursery School Core stories.pdf Somerville Nursery School Curriculum document 2023-24.pdf UTW progression Nursery to primary.pdf What-to-expect-in-the-EYFS-A guide for Parents