Children will leave Somerville Primary School with a wide range of positive memories in Mathematics formed through interesting and exciting lessons and experiences that help our children to see learning in mathematics as an ongoing process not a one-off event.
- Children will meet the age related expectations in mathematics, which will be taught by passionate staff that will support children to become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, develop mastery of concepts, establish an interest in mathematics and finally, become competent mathematicians
- Children will study a high quality maths curriculum that is both challenging and enjoyable so that all children are able to achieve their full potential.
- Through both teacher input and independent learning children will be encouraged to follow lines of enquiry, establish connections, patterns and relationships, rapidly recall and apply their knowledge, solve problems and explain their reasoning. This will lead to greater depth learning, ensuring that our children are confident mathematicians who are not afraid to take risks.
- All children will study mathematics for at least 5 hours a week in both key stage one and key stage two.
- Children will confidently use age appropriate mathematical language to explain their reasoning and understanding. This is shared with parents via our “Somerville maths dictionary”.
- All maths lessons will be progressive, building on children’s prior knowledge and working walls will be used to support learning and further help children to make sense of their mathematical learning.
- Children in Somerville will access a rich and balanced curriculum within which mathematical skills will be applied to other subjects including but not limited to science and technology.
Children will be working as mathematicians throughout their mathematics journey.